Monday, July 23, 2012

SLA 2012

SLA's conference was in Chicago this year

Hi folks, this is Allison.

    Chrystelle and I attended the SLA conference in Chicago last week and it was an amazing experience. I strongly encourage anyone who has the opportunity to participate in a conference for library professionals, whether it's SLA, ALA, or PLA to do so. The week left me with optimism and renewed vigor for my chosen career path.
    A few of the sessions I attended were quite interesting and informative, but I think the most valuable thing I gained from attending was the opportunity to network. Being surrounded by more seasoned professionals who are passionate about their careers was inspiring and educational. Many are eager to provide students with insight into their careers and the paths they followed to get there.
    The most important take away I got from this trip is that as a new professional it is important to not have too narrow a scope on where you would like to work. Librarians are needed in diverse settings; law firms, zoos, chemical manufacturing companies, museums etc. As a new information professional, being aware of and open to pursuing work opportunities in a range of environments is certainly advantageous.
The "Bean" in Millennium Park 
    Your prior educational or professional experience may be a factor in choosing what kind of library job you would like to pursue, but it shouldn't place a limitation on exploring career opportunities outside of your comfort zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment